If you're like me, every Sunday I find myself running to the grocery store at the last minute to stock up on easy snacks for the work week and weekend adventures. Problem is, store-bought bars that look healthy are often loaded with high-fructose corn syrup, lack essential nutrients, and leave you hungry an hour later.
These delicious semi-sweet granola bars are a healthy, quick, and portable alternative - perfect for the on-the-go lifestyle. Packed with nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and chocolate, they are the perfect combination of crunchy and chewy. And super filling thanks to the balance of proteins, fibers, carbs, and healthy fats.
I've adapted this recipe to my personal preference, but it's easy to adjust any of the ingredients mentioned below based on what you enjoy. Do yourself a favor and customize your own energy-packed snacks for hiking, road trips, or wherever else your busy life takes you!
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium/large bananas)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2-3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Yield: 14-16 Large Bars
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large rectangular baking dish (approx. 8" x 12") or line with a piece of parchment paper to allow easy transfer of the bars.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until smooth texture.
- Stir in the vanilla, peanut butter, honey, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the oats into the banana mixture.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (pecans, almonds, flax seed, chia seed, hemp seed, and chocolate chunks) into the banana-oat mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Press down and ensure the mixture is evenly spread throughout.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and lightly golden along the edge. Place dish on a cooling rack for 10 minutes then carefully loosen the ends with a knife and lift out. Place granola slab on a cooling rack for 30 minutes.
- Slice into bars.
Individually wrap bars with parchment paper and secure with tape. Place bars in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag, press out all of the excess air, and seal shut. They should keep for over a month in the freezer.